11000 Metro Pkwy, Suite 43, Fort Myers, FL 33966
License #EC13011189
Call Today for a FREE, No-Pressure Estimate
Florida Solar

Are Solar Panels Worth It in Florida

In this blog post, we are going to explore whether or not solar panels are worth purchasing in Florida. The Sunshine State is a great place for solar energy, but there are some important factors to consider before making the switch.

We will discuss the economic and environmental costs of installing solar panels, the benefits of going solar, and how Florida’s unique climate affects the overall savings you can expect from using solar power. By the end of this post, you will have all the information to answer the question: are solar panels worth it in Florida?

Merriam Webster defines worth as “the value of something measured by its qualities or by the esteem in which it is held.”

In order to determine whether or not solar panels are worth it in Florida, we first have to do a cost/benefit analysis.

As Americans, most of us assess worth first and foremost through the lens of economics. So let’s first take a look at the monetary cost.

Business People Shaking Hands

The Economic Cost of Installing Solar Panels

The cost of installing solar panels in Florida is generally lower than other states. This is due to the high availability of sunshine, which means that less expensive equipment and labor are needed for installation.

Additionally, net metering laws in Florida allow homeowners to make money from their excess energy production. This can help soften some of the upfront costs associated with installing solar panels, making going solar even more attractive.

The Inflation Reduction Act, signed into law in August of 2022, is also making the transition to solar energy much more affordable. Residents of Florida will receive a 30% tax credit for the cost of installing a solar energy system in their homes. And the remaining 70% cost can usually be financed with no money out of pocket at a low interest rate.

With the prices for electricity going up every year, going solar in Florida allows people to avoid the increasing cost of energy and retain a fixed payment. This in itself is usually enough to offset the cost of installing the solar energy system.

Finally, it is important to consider how Florida’s climate affects the overall savings you can expect from using solar panels. On average, Florida receives around 200 sunny days each year. This means that solar panels in Florida can generate a significant amount of power each day.

The sun’s intensity is usually higher during the summer months (May-October) when energy usage tends to be highest. This makes it an ideal location for using solar panels, as households can benefit from the most intense sunlight and have access to clean energy year round.

Environmental Impact of Solar Energy

The Environmental Cost of Installing Solar Panels

In addition to the cost savings associated with going solar, there are also environmental benefits to consider.

Solar energy is a clean source of power that doesn’t contribute to air or water pollution. This means that you can generate your own electricity without having any negative impact on the environment.

Furthermore, by using solar power you are helping to reduce Florida’s dependence on fossil fuels and helping the state transition to more renewable sources of energy.

Conclusion

Are solar panels worth it in Florida? The answer is a resounding yes!

The cost of installation is generally lower than other states and you can expect to see significant savings on your electric bills over time. Furthermore, the environmental benefits associated with going solar are immense and will help transition Florida to more renewable sources of energy.